The U.S. won’t want to relinquish control, but it would very difficult for the U.S. to say “no” to a peaceful settlement of such an obvious and long-standing offense.
So… will the U.S. agree to free Hawaii?
• Yes! It will if… Hawaiians and our friends in the international community can persuade the U.S. that it has a legal and a moral obligation to restore the Hawaiian Islands to its original independent status.
• Yes! It will if… the U.S. realizes it is in its best interest and the best interest of all concerned, for the U.S, to withdraw from Hawaii in a peaceful, orderly, expeditious and friendly way, and to normalize foreign relations with the Hawaiian Kingdom according to its treaty obligations.
• Yes! It will if… other countries help pave the way by entering into diplomatic and trade relations with the Hawaiian Kingdom.
• Yes! It will if… international organizations like the United Nations become involved as facilitators and participants to this special peace-making process — an opportunity to promote justice, compassion and healing for such a long-standing offense.
The Quick Facts Series…
THE SITUATION OF THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS
QUICK FACT #3
Can Hawaii Function as a Free Country?
- Yes! Like many other small countries, Hawaii can function very nicely as an independent country. As an existing sovereign country, the Hawaiian Kingdom’s framework for self-governance is still intact with its constitution, treaties, session laws, civil codes, etc.
- Most of the systems, structures, mechanisms — and the people — necessary to run a modern, fully functioning country are already in place, right now…currently operating as the “State of Hawaii” and the United States of America.
- Think of it as a change of management — transitioning from being American-operated to being Hawaiian-operated. We would not have to re-build the entire operating system from scratch or even put it through major overhaul. The transition can be done with minor tweaks as a smooth and orderly change of management… with a friendly management style.
- Management Hawaiian-style would be people-friendly, infusing values like Aloha Aina into the operations of governance, economics, education, food production, land policies, security and other vital national functions.
YES! We can do this! Our kupuna criss-crossed the vast ocean with waʻa made of wood and leaves! They operated a productive, fully sustainable agricultural system that would be the envy of the world today… While the rest of the original peoples and nations were falling to colonialism and imperialism the Hawaiian Kingdom gained recognition as an sovereign, independent state. So, YES! We can do this!
Next Quick Fact coming soon…
Keeping in touch and updated on activities regarding the restoration of Ke Aupuni o Hawaii, the Hawaiian Kingdom. Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono.